Here are a few of my thoughts on What About Now:
- Several of the songs have already been played live so if you liked them live I don't think hearing the studio versions will change that, and if you hated them then I don't think the studio versions will change that either.
- What a lot of people have been wondering about is "production". And the people who pay attention to that sort of thing would also know that John Shanks produced the album, as he's been doing with Bon Jovi since Have a Nice Day. So for better or worse, there's your answer.
- If we'd gotten a solo Jon Bon Jovi album after The Circle, this might have been it or pretty close to it. It's sort of been a trend but the band didn't seem to have a whole lot to do with this album. FYI Richie Sambora is credited on five tracks on What About Now along with a third collaborator (either Billy Falcon, John Shanks or Desmond Child). Apart from that Jon wrote with Falcon or Shanks.
- I might as well get the "Beautiful World" = "How Far We've Come" (Matchbox 20) comparison out of the way...
- "That's What the Water Made Me" is still my favourite song from the album. And currently right up there with my favourite Bon Jovi songs of the last 13 years.
- "I'm With You" reminds me a little bit of "Nothing", which was originally written for Have a Nice Day but ended up being recorded by Bo Bice as "Nothing Without You" on his debut album instead. I always liked the Bon Jovi version of the song though. Shanks has co-writing credits on both songs.
- "Thick As Thieves" is dire. It reminds me of "Save the World" from Crush, which is one of my least favourite Bon Jovi songs (Sorry to anyone who loves it). Bonus tracks "With These Two Hands" and "Into the Echo" aren't perfect but at least they don't make me cringe like "Thick as Thieves".
Have you listened to the album? What do you think?
Feel free to rip anything I've said to shreds. :P